Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I'm back! And I brought TACOS!

Well, I haven't blogged in forever and a day! But latley I have felt inspired to blog again so I figured I would come back!  It involved spending some time convincing Google that I am indeed the creator of this blog, since I hadn't used it in so long and had forgotten my password.  So here we are!  We survived another summer in the desert, and it's starting to cool down again.  Today was beautiful with a high of 78... it's that time of year that we all LOVE living here.  Kids are all in their second quarter of school - I still have trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that they are in 8th, 3rd, and 1st grade this year!  I have many ideas for things to blog about, but for my re-entry into the blogging world I figured I would keep it simple and just share a really easy recipe with you.  This is what we had for dinner tonight and it was a great hit!
 
Turkey Tacos
1 lb ground turkey
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chile peppers
1 packet taco or fajita seasoning (brand of your choice)
1 package taco shells (hard or soft)
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 package shredded cheese - your choice
 
Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet.  Drain.  Add the can of green chile, the (drained) can of chopped tomato, and the taco seasoning pouch.  Mix well on high heat until bubbling, then reduce heat to a simmer and stir occasionally.
 
Meanwhile, chop up the big tomatoes and get the shredded cheese ready.  Toast the taco shells in the oven as directed.


Stuff the taco shells with the meat mixture, a layer of shredded cheese, and the tomatoes.  Optionally, add some sour cream and hot sauce... we love Tapatio brand hot sauce for our tacos!  These would be great with some avacados on top too, if they are in season!

There you have it, an easy meal!  Ground turkey is a leaner meat and a great healthy choice to substitute instead of ground beef, and my family loved these tacos tonite!  For a bigger family you might want to double the recipe... my family of 5 gobbled down all 12 tacos!  (And I only got one!)  Serve them with some Refried beans or spanish rice, or even just with a nice fresh salad and enjoy!



2 comments: